Total Pageviews

Saturday 27 August 2011

...And at the End.

I guess it's time to close off now - I have to talk about something that I have been putting off, the reason for this blog & also the reason for why it hit me so hard. You see, I have this thing that although many people will only see a 'pet' or a 'dog' I have always been very close to my friends - not pets! The loyalty that is shown by these animals is just too great to be brushed off & requires a greater return from us. Well, that's the way I feel, anyway. Responsibilty to them & for them. So that is why, when the last deed has to be done for pity's sake, then I must be with them at the end.
So this is what happened that day, that Sunday. As I said, he was already pretty far gone & I thought that, after talking to the vet, it would have to happen that morning. I had to carry him to the car as he could'nt walk at that stage. Took him for a bit of a ride through the country for the last time & then on to the vets. Again, I had to carry him out to the table in the operating room. Thing is - the vet hit him with 30ml of the stuff....... and it didn't work! He actually pushed himself up, looked me straight in the eyes & gave a deep throated howl/groan that basically said to me "You Bastard!! I trusted you!". The vet had to hit him with another 10 or 15ml - I'm not sure how much any more 'cos that's when I cracked totally! He then subsided & threw up a load of grass green gunge - no idea where it came from 'cos he hadn't eaten or drunk anything for 3 days - & then it was over & so was I. I ran from that room saying, I don't know what to the vet over my shoulder & then drove home. He was taken to be buried in Cape Town 'cos we, apparently, are not allowed to bury dogs in our yards anymore. Load of bollocks if you ask me!
The reason for the stuff not working immediately was, according to a vet friend of mine, was that his kidneys were too far gone - still doesn't make me feel any better!
So that's it then, no more on this blog I don't think - no reason really.


3 comments:

  1. Llew; FFS, that was hard, mate! :-( My most heartfelt sympathy.

    Keep the Blog though. We need to know if ye get puddles! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sjoe - sorry you (and he) went through that Dad. Hopefully, when it comes time for someone to put me down, they'll do it with as much compassion and love.
    I Love you - and we miss you!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never take a dog to the vet to kill for again,..
    IT is far better for all concerned to whack your jukel yourself,..then,..when the deed is done with a quick .22 ...get yourself down the Pub and get blind drunk.....

    ReplyDelete