Total Pageviews

Thursday 18 August 2011

Rebuilding cont......

So, finally all the old stuff is off & new fill has been put in & compacted (correctly!). Hopefully the builder has got all his levels right & we won't end up with water in the front room! Never saw a dumpy level at any stage so....
However, here we go, plastic sheeting down & steel reinforcing laid & tied together.

 Then came the 'fun' part. The concrete went down fairly well, although the lawn did not do as well! There was like more stone & concrete on the lawn than in the wheel-barrows at times. Sounds like a bit of a whinge, doesn't it? Well we had just come out of one of the worst droughts in about 30 years so I was a bit sensitive about my lawn. ;)
Concrete 45% down now - I think Jan was trying to get a shot of a 'Builders crack'. There was the warning of a large cold front looming offshore but it didn't materialise. Next step after all down, keep damp for 48 hours & then the screed. All in all not too bad a job considering. Total cost about R14000 (that's about £1400 Ditch) I dunno what a job like this would cost over there but we used 42 bags of cement, 6 cubes of sand (fill as well) & 3 cubes of stone. The re-inforcing matting was 6*2.4m*6m & 70sq m of plastic sheeting. The rest was for labour & transport
Finished. Well, except for the stain & sealer - but that can bloody well wait a bit! My back & my credit card need to get back into shape!




1 comment:

  1. " (that's about £1400 Ditch) I dunno what a job like this would cost over there. "


    Dunno, mate. Here, my neighbours being farmers, they'd have a tendency to do it themselves. The labour coming from their own neighbours.

    Yes, I guess ye could say it's a bit like voluntary 'communism', in a way, round here. Four farmers will all work their rocks off on each others harvest.

    When Pat' cuts his silage? That track out there gets like a tractor race course. I keep my Dogs in for the day. Next day? I'm sure Pat's racing up and down someone elses road. Helping get His bales home.

    But, yeah; Here we'd buy a Mixer lorry and it would spew the ready mixed down in one. Then a small army of neighbours would spread and tamp it.

    Buying bags of cement etc though? Without really knowing the price of that steel ~ hellish expensive stuff! ~ I'd guestimate, with hired labour? I'd be paying ballpark figures what you did, mate.

    Not f**king cheap, is it?! :o

    ReplyDelete